bay magazine, brownies, business, cacao, carbs, Chef, chocolate, chowder, cko, cko hoboken, clean eating, clean eats, columnists, company, contest, cook, cooking, create, cuisine, dairy free, date night, dessert, dinner, eataly, event, explore, fall, family, farm food, figs, fit, fit food, fit foodies, fit soul and spice, fitness, fitness writer, fitspo, food art, food writer, foodie, foodies, french cuisine, french foods, fudge, fun food, giveaway, grand opening, gym, gym rat, Health, health nut, healthy, healthy cuisine, Healthy Cuisine Night, healthy date night, healthy home, hoboken, home, hot chocolate, hot yoga, ice cream, individuality, Italian, Jersey Bites, kitchen, lactose, lamb, lbi, lifestyle, long beach isalnd, long beach island, love, love to cook, marketing, meat free, meat lovers, new jersey, new year, new york city, nj running company, nutrition, olive oil, organic, party, pie, prize, promo, quinoa, raw, raw cacao, raw food, raw vegan dessert, recipe, resolution, salad, sea fare, seafood, summer treats, sunday dinner, Valentine's Day, vegan, vegan food, vegan life, Vegetarian, website, winter, work out, yoga, your life, your style
This past Sunday seemed like one of those perfect days for some laid back, delicious brunch action. Instead of heading out into the frigid, icy NYC weather, I [wisely] opted to keep my slippers ON and my winter coat OFF. After working some magic in the Fit Soul and Spice kitchen, a sweet, fluffy, flavorful healthy alternative brunch option was created. Gluten free, unprocessed, unrefined, low carb, all natural, and beyond simple to make, today’s FSS original recipe is sure to be tomorrow’s yummy breakfast or brunch! And for all you lovebirds out there still searching for that perfect Vday surprise, this meal, combined with a fresh cup of coffee or green tea, would definitely make the perfect Valentine’s day breakfast in bed.. 😉
Banana Pancakes with a Strawberry Cacao Reduction
Banana Pancakes (creates 9 small pancakes)
2 large ripe bananas
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup almond flour
a generous dash of cinnamon
Strawberry Cacao Reduction (for one batch of banana pancakes)
12 large strawberries, tops removed, and diced
4 tablespoons organic coconut sugar
2 tablespoon cacao powder
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. In a medium size bowl, mash your bananas with a fork.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together your eggs and vanilla extract. Once whipped and fluffy, pour over your mashed bananas. Mix well with a fork, continuing to mash bananas more finely. (Leave some chunks if you’d like some banana bites in your pancakes!)
3. Add almond flour and cinnamon to batter. Mix thoroughly again until thoroughly, evenly combined.
4. Bring a griddle or sauté pan to low-medium heat. **VERY important: before every batch, grease your pan with coconut oil spray. Otherwise, they will stick.**
5. Once heated, pour batter by the large tablespoonful (see photo above). I used a large serving spoon for the perfect size.
6. Cook for about one minute on each side (until some bubbles form on the edges and holes begin to form on top).
7. Remove with a spatula and transfer to your serving platter or plates. (tip: coat with coconut oil spray for an easier transfer)
Strawberry Cacao Reduction
1. In a medium sauce pot, add water, strawberries, and coconut sugar. Using low-medium heat, bring to a simmer. Whisk consistently.
2. Continuing to whisk, allow ingredients to simmer for 3-4 minutes, until strawberries have softened.
3. Using a masher, mash the strawberries. Leave some chunk if you prefer texture, or mash more finely for a smoother reduction over your pancakes.
4. Bring to low heat. Once strawberries are mashed, add cacao powder and vanilla extract.
5. Whisk reduction constantly on low until it becomes thick and syrupy (about 6-8 minutes). Be careful not to leave it over heat too long – you will burn your cacao powder.
6. Once syrupy texture is consistent, remove from heat and continue to whisk for one minute in order to release heat and continue creating a thick consistency.
7. Drizzle final reduction over your pancakes, or place it in a serving bowl with a ladle or spoon in order for people to serve themselves.
Suggestions for Sides:
~ Freshly spiralized apple & pear topped with sprinkled cinnamon
~ Chilled, sliced orange wedges
~ Two scrambled eggs or egg whites
~ Broiled grapefruit halves (slice a large grapefruit in half, sprinkle each half with coconut sugar, place under the broiler on high for five minutes)
There you have it! Indulge in a healthy, homemade brunch date with your beau, friends, or family by trying out Fit Soul and Spice‘s clean banana pancake dish! Enjoy, my friends.
Stay warm. Stay well. Much love! 🙂